Oladipo not confirmed for 2018 Slam Dunk Contest — at least not yet

Victor Oladipo says he hasn’t agreed to participate in the Slam Dunk Contest at All-Star Weekend 2018, set for Feb. 16-18 in Los Angeles. But he is open to competing for the second time.

“I don’t know. I don’t know where those rumors came from,” Oladipo said Tuesday when he met with local reporters to discuss being named an All-Star.

“That’s funny, too. That’s crazy. I don’t know, we’ll see. I never confirmed anything. I don’t know where those rumors came from.”

As I reported Tuesday afternoon, a source with knowledge of the situation told VigilantSports.com that nothing was finalized. That doesn’t mean it won’t happen, but that’s where the situation stands.

Oladipo first participated in the Slam Dunk Contest in 2015, his sophomore season in the league. He finished in second behind Zach LaVine.

He is obviously intrigued by the idea of competing in his second dunk contest in five years and the NBA prefers to have its stars already in town for the weekend, as Oladipo will be after being named an All-Star Tuesday night.

“I’ll be there, so,” he said with a grin. “I guess if I feel good and it feels right I might.”

Victor has attended All-Star Weekend in three of his first four years in the league. He played in the Rising Stars Challenge game his first two years, and took part in the weekend’s festivities his third year when it was in Toronto (2016).

See Also: Oladipo reacts to being named an All-Star for the first time

Last year, though, was different.

“Last year I didn’t go,” he said. “I went home and spoke to my father. Just went home and reminisced and kind of fixed that little bump, the little thorn in my spine. I fixed me and his relationship.”

His father, Chris, has never been to Indianapolis and he did not attend even one game in Bloomington when Vic suited up for the Cream & Crimson. That visit and time spent together was valuable in repairing the relationship.

As for the dunk contest, if Oladipo does decide to compete and wins, the trophy can remain in Indianapolis. Remember, his teammate, Glenn Robinson III, won the contest last year in New Orleans.

Of course the NBA would want him in the contest. Oladipo’s double clutch jam was voted Dunk of the Year last season at the inaugural NBA Awards.

There are no comments yet. Be the first and leave a response!

Leave a Reply

Wanting to leave an <em>phasis on your comment?

Trackback URL http://vigilantsports.com/oladipo-not-confirmed-for-2018-slam-dunk-contest-at-least-not-yet/trackback/